1) DEMENTIA DECLINES : Understanding of the human genome and genetic mutations leads to improved detection of, and prevention methods for, the onset of neurodegenerative diseases such as dementia and Alzheimer’s.
2) SOLAR IS THE LARGEST SOURCE OF ENERGY ON THE PLANET : Methods for harvesting, storing and converting solar energy are so advanced and efficient that it becomes the primary source of energy on our planet.
3) TYPE I DIABETES IS PREVENTABLE : A versatile human genome engineering platform is a reality, paving the way for the modification of
disease-causing genes and helping to prevent certain metabolic conditions.
4) FOOD SHORTAGES AND FOOD PRICE FLUCTUATIONS ARE THINGS OF THE PAST : Advancements in lighting technologies and imaging techniques, coupled with genetic crop modification, provide an environment ripe for successful indoor crop growth and detecting diseased foods.
5) ELECTRIC AIR TRANSPORTATION TAKES OFF : Light-weight aerospace engineering coupled with new battery technologies power electric vehicle transportation – on land and in the air.
6) DIGITAL EVERYTHING…EVERYWHERE : From the smallest personal items to the largest continents, everything, everywhere will be digitally connected, and responsive to our wants and likes.
7) PETROLEUM-BASED PACKAGING IS HISTORY; CELLULOSE-DERIVED PACKAGING RULES : Bio-nanocomposites based on nanocellulose make 100% fully biodegradeable packaging pervasive. Petroleum-based packaging products will be no more.
8) CANCER TREATMENTS HAVE VERY FEW TOXIC SIDE EFFECTS : Drug development is so much more precise, binding to specific proteins and using antibodies to give exact mechanisms of action, that the debilitating effects of toxic chemicals on patients is significantly reduced.
9) DNA MAPPING AT BIRTH IS THE NORM TO MANAGE DISEASE RISK : The evolution of micro-total analysis systems (singlecell
analysis) and advancements in nanotechnology, coupled with more widespread Big Data technologies, make DNA-mapping at birth the norm, as well as part of one’s annual physician exam.
10) TELEPORTATION IS TESTED : Kinematical techniques used to understand the Higgs Boson particles generated in the Large Hadron Collider advance such that quantum teleportation is more commonplace.
For the Thomson-Reuters Report click World-2025