Gates Cambridge Scholarships are prestigious, highly competitive full-cost scholarships. They are award ed to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
The programme aims to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
Gates Cambridge Scholarships for International Students
Gates Cambridge Trust
Deadline: 3 Dec 2013 (annual)
Study in: UK
Course starts October 2014
Gates Cambridge Scholarships are highly competitive full-cost scholarships. They are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
University of Cambridge in United Kingdom
Field of study:
Any field of study offered at the University.
Number of Awards:
Gates Cambridge Scholarships are extremely competitive: over 4,000 applicants apply for 90 Scholarships each year.
Citizens of any country outside the United Kingdom.
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge, namely:
• the University Composition Fee and College fees at the appropriate rate
• a maintenance allowance for a single student (£13,000 for 12 months at the current 2012-2013 rate; pro rata for courses shorter then 12 months)
• the cost of the most economical airfare from the scholar’s normal country of residence to the UK at the beginning of their course and the cost of the most economical airfare from the UK to the scholar’s normal country of residence at the end of the course
The Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis such as family allowance, conference attendance, fieldwork allowance, some fourth year funding for PhD scholars and hardship funding.
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
• a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
• applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study: PhD (three year research-only degree); MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree); or a one year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
• already a student at Cambridge and want to apply for a new postgraduate course. For example, if you are studying for an MPhil you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to do a PhD. However, if you have already started a course, you cannot apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to fund the rest of it.
• already a Gates Cambridge Scholar and want to apply for a second Scholarship. You must apply by the second, international deadline and go through the same process of departmental ranking, shortlisting and interviewing as all other candidates.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarships are highly competitive scholarships and awarded on the basis of the candidate’s academic excellence, a good fit between the Scholar and the University of Cambridge, evidence of leadership potential, and a commitment to improving the lives of others.
Next applications open 1 September 2013. See the How to Apply section for further details. The deadline for applications is 3 December 2013 for citizens other than the US and 15 October 2013 for US citizens.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) or read the FAQs for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.